Thursday, January 14, 2010

"Does God Still Care"

Last week we were informed through extensive tests that Clayton's bladder condition has gotten worse instead of better due to the fact his nerve ending were damaged because of his birth defect. Also the test revealed his sphincter muscle does not work at all. Due to this condition the doc told us he will be in a diaper for now on. We have gone from not cathing him at all to now cathing him every three to four hours. My wife and I watch him as he gets frustrated trying to keep up with children his age. We watch him as he tries to play tag but can't because of his lack of mobility. We watch children playing baseball, football and basketball just wishing he would have the chance to shine so bright but knowing he will never get the chance.

Yes they did inform us of the possibities of this at birth, but for the past three years things seemed to be working in his favor. None of the above traits were affecting him. Now it looks as if many of the hard to accept characteristics of children born with Spina Bifida are being seen in the life of my little man.

So why? Does God really care? Is his hand of mercy and grace still extended to my son and family? Who's fault is it? Who's sin and shame caused this frustration and pain?

John 9 teaches us of a boy born blind from birth. Many didnt understand the reason or accept him in his condition, but Christ did. Many blamed this one and that one, but Christ blamed no one. Christ even lets us know the reason for his blindness. Vs.3 "Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him." And it was.....40, 41 "And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also? Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We SEE; therefore your sin remaineth."

You see, "I know God still cares." I know, "His grace will be sufficent in every time of need." I know, "All things will work together for good to them that love God." I just pray that God will use this in a mighty way to reveal his Light just as he did with the blind man. Do I wished Clayton did not have to go through what he will have to go through for what possibly could be the rest of his life. Yes!! Do I pray for God to take this pain away? Absolutely!! Do I get down and frustrated and wish God would not have choosen me? Who wouldn't!!! But God is God and who better to trust in all things than the one who created him just as he is. Just as I have said before Clayton may be handicapped, he may be slow and face surgeries and hardships in the present and future, but he is perfect in the eyes of God. He is just the way God needs him at the moment. Who knows someone may just trust Christ as savior by watching the life of my son. That would be awesome because in the end physical disabilities will all vanish, but spiritual sickness will last throughout all eternity.

Well I guess I'm through revealing my heart. Just help to sometime air things out. Please remember us in prayer. It's a battle through this pilgrims journey, but one day soon we will all be home. "Even so come Lord Jesus."

5 comments:

  1. Bro. Joe, I understand that you don;t know me, but I am praying for your family and the child especially. Marlin Freeman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Brother. Suffering in the world is one of the hardest things to grasp.
    But just reading this caused me to thank God for some things in my life...so, He still gets the glory. God bless you & yours....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bro. Joe, Last Sunday night I had the priveledge of being with one of our ABA churches. it was a small Church with a BIG, heart. Much to my suprise the music director that night was a 17 year old girl with cerebral palsy. no she was not graceful. she did not have good speech, but she knew music. I was blessed by the experience. Thank God for a Church that would let Her do that. and thank God for a GUTSY Gal, who would even try. I hope this little experience of mine is a blessing to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for letting the world see your faith in the Lord. Love you and praying for all of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro. Joseph, I wanted to make mention of a few things here.
    You said, "I just pray that God will use this in a mighty way..."
    He already is... By you showing your faith and trust in God, knowing His grace is sufficient, that is a mighty way. By you not turning your back on Him, that is a mighty way. Others seeing your life being an encouragement for their trials and suffering, that is a mighty way. Don't wait to see what purpose God has for Clayton...the purpose is already evident in your example of having faith, trust, and complete knowledge that God is in control, and no matter what man says, it's all in His hands.

    btw...you've encouraged me just from this post.

    ReplyDelete